Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Thing #7 Spinning Again

I did another spin class this morning. I figured it would be easier to negotiate the etiquette and set-up this time since I had done it once. I felt a little cockier than I should have, it turns out – I tried to claim someone’s bike, not realizing the gently draped towel on the handlebars meant it was already claimed. But doing this challenge has created a whole new spirit for me – I laughed and apologized to the nice man whose bike I was trying to steal (clearly his favorite, since I think I saw him on it last time) instead of feeling like a jackass. Who knew this experiment would have such useful side benefits?

I knew the teacher, too – he’s a trainer at the gym as well as a resident of Southwest Minneapolis, so I see him when I go in to train with The Trainer. Or at the store one time. So I felt more comfortable just asking for his help with the still-mysterious handlebars. (I did manage to remove them all by myself when I was done. Woo hoo!)

All of this meant I had a great time and a great workout. What I still really like about spin is that there’s company and an instructor, but you don’t have to work any harder than makes sense for you. It means I work out longer and harder than I would by myself, but I am not embarrassed by not being as fit as the people on the other bikes. They have no idea how high – or low! -- I spin that little wheel that increases the challenge.

See? This experiment is really paying off now. I think I could happily take spin classes in the winter to get a good cardio workout.

As an aside, a photographer from the Southwest Journal was waiting for me after class. I had agreed to it as part of a story they’re doing on the Get Fit Challenge, don’t get me wrong, but it’s still a little disconcerting to be photographed at 7 in the morning. In workout clothes. After a tough workout.

Ah, well. Such is life. The alternative was to not do the spin class, and that wasn’t acceptable.