Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Thing #8 Yoga Pilates Fusion

Honestly, after awhile, is a Yoga Pilates Fusion class that different from Fitness Yoga or Fitness Pilates? I’m not sure. This is all new to me. It seemed kind of the same as the yoga class I’ve taken (I suppose magnified by the fact that it’s taught by the same woman), but I recognized a few elements from the Pilates class I took. And it worked my abs harder. She still referenced the heart center and said “namaste” at the end, though.

Regardless, I took it on a whim. I was at the gym a little later in the morning than usual. I had my mp3 player all geared up to do a bike workout or some such, but then I saw this on the schedule and I figured “why not?” Why not indeed. It was a 75 minute class, which I didn’t know going in, and it really did work my abs harder than fitness yoga had. She focused on shoulders, so as I self-corrected my posture all day I could really feel it. But from the other things I tried it was familiar enough to not feel like a jackass, which was a nice break, and I think my hamstrings have loosened at least 3 millimeters since I first tried yoga. So that’s good.

It was the instructor’s birthday, too. She’s my age. I had thought she was ten years younger, and I have seen her in the stark gym light and not just the gentle warm yoga room light, so that’s saying something. There must be something to this yoga thing after all. Happy birthday, Ellie!